viernes, octubre 06, 2006

On the End-State of the Power Industry Part 5

Hello Steve,

1) Thank you for your explanations after a busy schedule. I hope the attendees at your meeting were told by you to take a look at your paper, even though it has a lot of theorizing added. If you didn’t, I hope they will have a chance to read this. My comments, however, do not have any etherizing. I hope I am not being as rude with you in the following comments. I also hope not to bore you either. This is not a fight, but an attempt to shed some light, which I hope may come from your side or of any of the other readers.

2) I have my feet very well placed in the ground. This is a glimpse of my story. I have been in the power industry since 1965, when I got a scholarship to go to Cornell. I worked on every corner of the industry with a PhD (in Information Theory - where I developed my probabilistic mindset) since 1972. I was head of planning of a 3rd world country, where I worked hard to do high tech simulations of a least cost probabilistic expansion plan, to guarantee commercial service to customers. Politicians didn't follow the advised, as they always know better. I proposed a vision in 1996 to deregulate the way that is now become EWPC, based on the research at MIT by the group led by Professor Schweppe, as is discussed here and elsewhere on the EnergyPulse website. When our country deregulated the power sector in 1999, without following my advise (designed in accordance with our reality - which is now becoming the End-State of the Power Industry), I became a member of the board of the Coordinating Body (operations planning and market transactions), representing IPPs. It has been a real mess here, as 2 of the 3 Discos went broke and were repurchased by the government in 2003. That is when I decided to become an Interdependent (Systemic) Consultant on Electricity. Actually I have work hard to transformed myself into a system architect in the last 15 years or so.

3) Even though you may think you are not theorizing, I am sorry to tell you that you are just one of many theorists going to many meeting. The old name calling of theorist is not longer effective on the new world. I won't tell you where I found the quote that says: "...every time managers take an action, and every time they look into the future, they use a theory to guide their plans and actions - because a theory is a statement of what causes what, and why." I am very sure that the theory you are proposing with your article is not sound, but politicians love that. They love symptomatic solutions.
Unless I see a discussion on the practical-theory of EWPC I won’t interfere with your closure.

Best regards,

© 2006. José Antonio Vanderhorst-Silverio, Ph.D.

No hay comentarios: